[Chapter_Fourteen] chapter_fourteen-beforebefore.net Digest, Vol 4, Issue 24

Sam Wolpert swolpert at ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 31 22:38:32 PST 2011

Jason,
I totally agree with you, and I think your point about permaculture starting at the individual level is dead on. The individual is an important step in the bottom up approach I mentioned, and skipping directly to the collective level is in my opinion extremely dangerous. In fact, people are far less likely to agree with or listen to our views on justice if we do not live them out through our own actions. In order to change any system, we must first change ourselves, and if that change is positive then I believe that eventually people will take notice. Perhaps we won't create a sweeping change on a large scale within our lifetime, but I think that if we can inspire a positive change in even a very small number of people then that is not a failure. Of course, throughout this whole process it's important to keep the goal of positive change in mind and make sure that our practices are constantly adapting and evolving toward that goal.

I also think your point about buildings and spaces being important as well is a good one, and it's exactly what I'm talking about in terms of applying similar ideas of justice to different areas or systems. I think that perhaps the question to ask is do we also call this permaculture, or is it something different that can be traced back to the same or similar roots? I myself am not a permaculture buff so I don't know enough about its exact definition to propose an answer to this question, but hopefully someone else with a bit more expertise in this arena will.

-Sam