[Chapter_Fourteen] introductions

margaretha haughwout xmargarethax at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 09:50:23 PST 2010

shall we introduce ourselves and say what brings us to the conversation? i
am wary of throwing weight around our labels as if some of us have more
"authority" to speak, so i might suggest we limit that and rather state what
our interests are in coming to this list, and the background work that
informs that interest.

name: margaretha - the h is silent.

my interest in founding this list is multifold. i started it to help
facilitate the sharing of advice on community building within
the permaculture movement, as well as for us to deepen our sense of the
stakes and to articulate those stakes properly in doing the work that we are
doing.  am interested in reaching out to elders in our communities who might
be able to advise us younger ones.

in my PDC, when we got to chapter fourteen the whole class had a total
meltdown. we were all very close and felt very positive about one another;
then we got to chapter fourteen (the last day) and we imploded. we had very
different ideas about what is possible; identity politics became difficult;
some made broad sweeping statements that alienated whole swaths of the
class. i do believe working out our ideas about what is possible, sharpening
our critiques of what isn't working, and working to develop a more ethical
worldview that can be articulated and defended can only help our cause/s.

so anyway, feel free to work off this thread and introduce yourself!

/m

--

♫ Spread the word, please help us support the farm on Kickstarter!
http://bit.ly/hvf-kickstarter

Lead Researcher, Hayes Valley Farm
http://www.hayesvalleyfarm.com/

Lecturer, Film and Digital Media