[Chapter_Fourteen] begin in wholeness

margaretha haughwout xmargarethax at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 19:36:00 PST 2011

Thanks so much Lindsey.
I am enjoying reading these posts - they give a little kick to my days as
they come in.

I was thinking about this post today as I mulled over the ways I'm trying to
bring a consciousness of land into one of the courses I'm teaching in
digital media at UCSC. It seems to me that a consideration of land as a
whole system should be a cornerstone to all the courses that one attends to,
and that this forms the ethical backdrop for all of our decisions as well.
Bringing this consciousness into a digital practice, for those who have no
schooling or experience in this realm is not easy. One route that I've found
works fairly well is to draw connections between the decentralized,
distributed resource management that often happens between programmers and
in remix culture and the same practices that happen in more indigenous and
"permanent" cultures. For programmers and remixers, file sharers, etc.
having a distributed and decentralized system makes sense because there's a
broad area for catchment -- lots of solutions, more ease in problem solving,
more creativity and artwork. It's a start. I wonder too if seeing the soil
as not just a resource but as a vital part of the web of life is also
strategic -- if we see it that way, we are more likely to care for it & make
sure it's healthy, therefore more of it....

Zone zero practices help us to manage our resources properly, eh? Strategic
for resource management as well. They help us to slow down, see what is
vital, essential to the web of life, and cultivate *that*...

best,
/m

--

Biodiversity Team, Hayes Valley Farm