[Chapter_Fourteen] A Life of Immersion

Rachel A. Buddeberg rachel at rabe.org
Fri Feb 18 16:23:22 PST 2011

Thank you, Lindsey!  It gave me the courage to reach out to one of my professors to let him know that the readings he assigned in a virtue ethics class stirred up pain from past abuse in me and he might want to offer ways to get help to other students because they might not have the help to heal (again) that i do.  The cost of not reaching out like that would have been too great: The worry that i didn't offer help to someone else in class who might be in pain... And it builds the kind of communal connections that i want to build and maintain - not hiding the pain but admitting to it and then helping each other heal.  I couldn't do that without mentioning that i, too, felt pain (i could just sent a "social work" email with contact info rather than coming out as a survivor of abuse).  And, yes, it also inspired me to send this email.  The courage to live with integrity even when that is scary because that is what immersion is all about!

Rachel