[Chapter_Fourteen] begin in wholeness

Lindsey Goldberg ecologicaledgeucator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 08:06:52 PST 2011

“In *A Sand Country Almanac*, Also Leopold writes, “Land, then, is not
merely soil; it is a fountain of energy flowing through a circuit of soils,
plants and animals.” He invites readers to recognize the life and unity of
our planet, rather than to see only a conglomeration of raw materials. For
our usual assumption that “soil” is just a “resource,” one more commodity in
the marketplace, he wants to substitute a more inclusive and participatory
perspective on the “land.” Such a shift broadens our sense of community and
prepares for a more mindful and ethical relationship with the rest of the
natural world.” – John Elder

Broadening our perspective on the Earth and her living systems, including
our bodies, minds, hearts and spirits enlivens the possibilities for
connection, reverence, reflection and gratitude.

“By enhancing active awareness of our bodies and the places we live, we
deepen our engagement in the intricate and delightful universe we inhabit.”
– Andrea Olsen

Andrea Olsen is a professor at Middlebury College in Vermont. She wrote an
experiential resource guidebook called, *Body and Earth*. She bridges the
disciplines of dance, art, anatomy, health and environmental science. This
resource is an edge, embodying the possibilities and potential contained
within an edge.

In her words,

*We begin in wholeness*

*Where we focus our attention affects what we perceive.*

*Participation is the connecting link to awareness. As we open our senses to
the natural world, we can recognize the experience at hand as the primary
resources for our learning.*

*Can you perceive the natural world with reverence, with the attitude that
nature has something to teach us? When we have this attitude, the natural
world can invoke awe and astonishment, stimulating connection to the sacred,
integrative forces of life.*

* *

*An exercise for the morning,*

*With each breath, feel or imagine the exchange between the outer
environment of air around you and the inner landscape of your body. The
outer environment becomes part of the inner landscape with each inhalation,
the inner landscape releases to the outer environment with each exhalation.*

* *

*As we envision life, we create it. As we think, we do. Experiencing
ourselves as participants, we foster attitudes in ourselves and in our
communities that allow a lively and respectful dialogue between body and
earth. *

Have a beautiful day. It has been storming in San Francisco and now there is
a pause in the storm. Breathe and know Joy.

--
*Lindsey Goldberg, M.Ed, RYT*
Education.Environment.Art.Community.

Hayes Valley Farm