[Chapter_Fourteen] Zone Zero

Sherri L Mitchell smitchel at email.arizona.edu
Sun Feb 13 21:42:37 PST 2011

Lindsey asked: How does living a path with heart inform stewardship?

Rachel - I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing your vision with
the group.

For me, as a native woman, this concept of stewardship is one that I have
wrestled with understanding for most of my life. I have been raised with an
expectation of being able to meaningfully contribute to the work of
generations of "stewards" who came before me, in order to preserve that
pathway for the generations who will follow. When I was younger I thought
that this idea of stewardship was a protective environmental stance. Today,
I realize that it is more a posture of cultivation. It is about cultivating
my own inner wisdom, guidance and truth. It is about cultivating a love that
will nourish and sustain me throughout my life. It is about cultivating
relationships, big and small, that will someday grow into vast networks of
caring and connected beings. It is about cultivating cultural knowledge and
indigenous intelligence, which teaches me of my place in creation and my
relatedness to all living things. Living a path with heart teaches us these
same things. It teaches us that we are infinitely tied to one another
through both visible and invisible threads of connectivity. It shows us that
movement within these threads propels our movement forward, together.

When we first embark on this path we begin to cultivate a life of
harmlessness, because we finally realize that others are affected. When we
deepen our awareness and sink deeper into the posture of harmlessness we
begin to actually feel how we are connected, not only to those who are
affected but also to the harm that is creating those impacts. This
strengthens our desire toward active stewardship. We are then compelled to
consciously "FLINK" (which is to simultaneously feel and think) about the
repercussions of our mental, emotional, spiritual and physical actions,
knowing fully that we are co-creating this world from a fundamental
vibrational level into physical form. This awareness continues to cultivate
deeper and deeper levels of stewardship from the ephemeral into the
tangible. And, all this begins with the first step that one takes toward
living a path with heart. To me, living a path with heart and stewardship
are deeply interconnected, one feeds and is fed by the other and both grow
and deepen in direct proportion to one another. It is a beautiful
demonstration of the cyclical nature of our conscious evolution.

Sherri

p.s. Thanks to Phyl Brazee for coining the term"flink," it so eloquently
describes one of the most important steps in our conscious evolution.

--
Sherri Mitchell,
Treasurer, NNALSA