[Chapter_Fourteen] Permaculture and Justice

Rachel A. Buddeberg rachel at rabe.org
Sun Jan 23 12:55:27 PST 2011

I am tempted to let Chris have the last word because there's a big part of me that agrees with what you write, Chris.  But since i am moderating this discussion, i would like to push a bit more...

As i see it there are two broad justice-related issues:
Incorporating considerations of aspects of justice into our redesign plans of a permaculture.  This would mean that we would (try to) ensure that resources are fairly re-distributed, for example.  This is more future oriented.
Ensuring that permaculture as it is practiced reflects all aspects of justice. This would mean, for example, that we (try to) ensure that people of all walks of life can learn permaculture.  This would mean that we look at our movement to see if there's anything that inadvertently excludes people.  This is more present oriented.

There is an interesting dissertation (thesis?) that Danielle Cohen wrote with a critique of the Transition Town movement that reflects my second point.  See http://www.transitionnetwork.org/news/2010-12-20/reaching-out-resilience-inclusion-transition for a short interview and a link to her dissertation (which, btw, is fairly easy to read, especially for academic writing...).  She raises concerns that the Transition Town movement is inadvertently excluding people because of how we talk, when we meet, etc.

Rachel