[Chapter_Fourteen] The Realth of Nations

margaretha haughwout xmargarethax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 16:19:37 PST 2010

dear antonio, rachel & all,

thank you for an interesting prompt.

i agree with rachel's inquiry insofar as a clear definition of "real
wealth", and what its indicators are is necessary. depending on the sources
you use to flesh this out, i could see some potential rabbit holes around
the terminology of "real" versus "unreal" wealth. this could also be very
illuminating though, given that what i presume is unreal wealth is not only
floating, but unsustainable, largely dependent on exploitative labor
practices. one could also say, however that this wealth is very real when it
comes down to privilege: who gets to eat what, move freely, luxuriate when
and where, and make or break laws. then again, if the proverbial plug is
pulled, who is in the strongest position?

i wonder if you are talking about a kind of commons, perhaps something a bit
broader than a purely land-based commons, but a commons still: a shared set
of resources, be it gleaned produce, physical public space, or
creative work<http://creativecommons.org/> that
isn't constricted by copyright. i'm curious if you agree. the dangers of
co-optation are great, particularly if all the diverse movements were to
unite somehow. i've heard it said that production/ distribution houses
actually want to see a controlled amount of music shared; this actually
boosts sales. so how is this accounted for in your analysis of co-optation?
do you see potential for a balance? between real wealth and unreal wealth,
commons and corporations? i ultimately don't, though i may be persuaded that
there are some necessary interim stages on a "path" towards sustainability.
curious if you do. maybe this would tie into your synthesis of reality-based
and fantasy-based modes of activism...

in regards to some of your other points and questions, i'm curious about 3
and 4:
3) How can individualist and collectivist activisms become mutually
reinforcing?
 -- what do you define as individualist and as collectivist?

4) The use and misuse of "natural" metaphors for designing our activism
(e.g. horizontalist movements as ecosystem "networks").
 -- the use and misuse of permaculture/ ecosystem metaphors for people make
me very uncomfortable as well; they frequently sound like social darwinism
to me, and usually (accidentally) imply a dismaying dismissal of lives,
perspectives, positions.

i think it would also be good to hear a range of real world examples....

looking forward to hearing more about all this!

best wishes,
/m

PS
in regards to reading, i might suggest the gift by lewis hyde, radical
materialism for definitions of reality, and perhaps an understanding of
levinas for the politics of difference. perhaps hardt and negri's
multitude.... not at all necessary to draw upon for the text itself, but to
develop the background ideas.

--

Biodiversity Team, Hayes Valley Farm
http://www.hayesvalleyfarm.com/