[Chapter_Fourteen] Introducing: Antonio Roman-Alcala

margaretha haughwout xmargarethax at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 16:35:14 PST 2010

dear chapter fourteen,

it has been a busy fall, and the list has trailed in many interesting
directions. i like to think that these trails took us into the gardens and
to our neighbors with a more nuanced grasp of the stakes involved in fences
that surround big city gardens, and those of us that that work their edges.
they certainly did for me.

to me, both the theoretical and practical responses we heard in november
demonstrate how the distinctions between ideas and actions are a falsity
born of a polarizing culture. from roland, stewart, and starhawk's
suggestions for needle drop boxes to buddeberg, galanis, hiller, stanford
and other's debate about economic systems and their relationship to the
landbase, it is evident that what we think about a situation informs what we
do about it. this list is an ethical encompassing of theory and practice
(praxis), and as permaculturists, ethics informs what we do in our gardens,
our kitchens, and our communities at every turn.

i would like to introduce antonio roman-alcala. for the next few weeks,
antonio will be engaging dialog around conceptions of real wealth, or
"realth" as he terms it.

*Antonio Roman-Alcalá* spends his time realizing his personal vision of
sustainable hedonism. This includes teaching organic food-growing techniques
to urban dwellers, organizing communities into more cohesive and politically
active wholes, and bringing art and music into concert with everyday life
and participatory politics.

Antonio plays guitar in the band People People, is editor of the San
Francisco Art and Politics magazine, director of the In Search of Good
Food<http://insearchofgoodfood.org/> movie
project, and shares skills around town at Alemany
Farm<http://alemanyfarm.org/>,
Hayes Valley Farm, the Free Farm Stand, and with the SF Permaculture Guild.
He also recently co-founded the San Francisco Urban Agriculture
Allianc<http://sfuaa.org/>
e.
best wishes this solstice season,
/m