[Chapter_Fourteen] introductions

Levi Maxwell levisiah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 08:52:51 PST 2010

 I am Levi (pronounced le-vi or lev-e); I come here to see
what Permies really are about when it comes to chapter 14.

 Mostly because I still see the Permaculture movement for the most part as
an crunchy/feel-good-about-the-earth sort of thing, still talking about
another example of an herbspiral or coboven. Its students and followers
walking about to third world nations as saviors to save these poor,
desperate individuals (That is what I think many feel) and is to me a new
form of intellectual appropriation in that "Permaculture" even exists as a
term and there are apparently co-originators of the study and practice. When
in fact with minimal reading and research one can see that for hundreds and
thousands of years people have come up with and implemented principles and
practices now seen as Bill Mollison's child.

 Overall my interests are examples of peri-urban/urban communities in the
Global South who are relatively autonomous and/or self-sufficient
in industry or food. I am also interested in the effects of westernization
on Aboriginal populations, Cottage Industry, Land Reform, The sharing of
traditional knowledge regarding food, medicine, community, care taking and
worldview; the intergration of modern technologies and Traditional
knowledge, alternative economies/education/living, intentional communities,
re-ethnicization/cultural revitilization, Indigenizing, Political
resistance,  and Co-operation practices between differing communities and
groups.

 I come hear not a representative but as a figure and individual from many
disparate and suppressed groups; not so much to complain or play victim but
to see what is to be developed for the individuals/people/groups who could
benefit most from it and in some cases are more likely to implement
principle and practices when compared to middle/Upper-Middle class WASPs
which are the most targeted and dominate group in most PDC's, groups, talks,
and individuals I have seen or met.

 It is my deepest wish to find that there is a large vibrant community of
individuals who do not fall into the various pitfalls that comes with being
of a more priviledge set; that people are aware of their actions, words, and
ways and are actually doing work to collapse the walls that when looking at
it wide enough effect and hurt us all regardless of who we are.